Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Color Of Light

The Color of Light

I've always loved watching light through a crystal prism, seeing all the beautiful colors dancing inside or making rainbows on the walls.  I've marveled at the beautiful white snow, knowing that each flake is actually completely clear.  I love photographing the beach in the early morning light, giving everything a cool, blueish tint with pinks mixed in from the rising sun.  Ahhh, but in the evening...there is nothing more beautiful than the warm sunset light bathing the water and sands in red, orange, and gold.

The time of day that you take a photograph has a huge impact on your image.  But did you know, also, that florescent lights give a greenish cast to a photo while tungsten lights will give it an orange cast.  For instance, if I'm photographing a person looking out a window and there is a lamp nearby, I can have cool tones on the subject's face from the cooler daylight coming through the window and have an orange cast on their hair and back from the lamp.  Fortunately, there are ways to correct the color balance so the entire image is the same color instead of having a portrait of a beautiful young lady with a blue face and orange hair!

I'm heading to IL tomorrow to see my family.  February 9 is my Dad's 90th birthday and February 18 is my youngest granddaughter's first birthday, so I'll be back February 20.  I hope to write some while I'm visiting but I'm going to be pretty busy playing with my granddaughter!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment